Monday 12 November 2018

Teach Yourself to Draw 4

Gesture Drawing has been a very important technique for me.I like to see spontaneity and life in the work I admire. Gesture drawing has helped me to develop a fearless approach to drawing. Looking for the essential gesture of the subject, be it animal, vegetable or mineral. Going for the essence as fast as possible is exhilirating. Sitting in airports waiting for a flight is a perfect place to draw people on the move, even those sitting reading change position very quickly. So the rapid continuous line is the only way to grab that movement, that pose. All those quick sketches build up a great memory bank of images.Here are some from one of my sketch books that I always have with me wherever I go.
The very rapid sketches by Rodin of Cambodian dancers are typical gesture drawings.













No comments:

Post a Comment